A blackbird watches a grave from the branches of a tree. On the freshly overturned earth, a white daisy with seven petals grows. Each petal shimmers with a drop of clear rainwater, one drop rolls off of its silken perch and strikes the blades of grass below. New life begins. The blackbird takes flight.

Sunday, June 08, 2008

Less than 48 hours until take-off. I'm beginning to feel the first waves of nervous energy. I still haven't a clue what to expect, but I'm trying not to let the easy path from that point be one of fear or feebleness. I feel unprepared (I am unprepared). I also feel excited, though. I know I need to take this experience in vignettes...if I view it as a whole, I'll be overwhelmed by the number of things I'm going to experience in the next 10 weeks. So I suppose I'll focus on the first segment of the trip--Israel. And I'll take it from there.

Goals for myself:

Be friendly.
Be kind.
Try something new each day that makes me a little nervous.
Shed insecurity about being "the stupid foreigner."
Don't panic.
Walk slowly.
Don't shy away from people.
Really listen to others.
Try to really see them, too.
Learn something each day.
See something every day that could have been easily and sadly overlooked.
Give myself permission to make mistakes.

I'm sure I'll add to this list as I begin this trip, but for now, this'll do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home