A blackbird watches a grave from the branches of a tree. On the freshly overturned earth, a white daisy with seven petals grows. Each petal shimmers with a drop of clear rainwater, one drop rolls off of its silken perch and strikes the blades of grass below. New life begins. The blackbird takes flight.

Friday, May 02, 2008

My summer will officially begin in less than two days. On Saturday, I'll be taking off for New Orleans--the Big Easy--for a week with some friends. Sadly, I'm too detached from everything to really be excited right now. I know all of the things I'm dealing with right now will pass, and that I have to keep my head to the sky--it's just hard. I'm tired of dealing with these old ghosts--I feel like they don't have the right to haunt me anymore. I'm ready to move on--to put them behind me and look forward to what is coming into vision not fading away.

I suppose I should ask myself what it is that I want--and how I think I'm going to find it.

I want peace--I know that I have to be full of forgiveness and love to achieve that in myself and work for justice in the world if I want peace outside of myself.

I want assurance--I want to know that what I do isn't worthless--that it's not just my way of desk-watching in a cubicle--my walls emotional rather than pressed carpet and cardboard...I want to connect to the world and feel it--really feel it.

And I suppose in that way, I'm still one of the lucky...I can still feel deep sadness and confusion--I can still acknowledge loss, and even though I have refused to let it overtake me, I've also refused to ignore it. I suppose that is the best I could hope for right now.

I know that this summer is not going to be the thing that fixes me--wherever I go, I'll be taking myself with me, and my hurts, my fears, my hopes--they'll all be there, too.

I know that I'm stronger every day, and that I can still surrender and be humble, too.

I thank God for that.

I suppose the most important thing I can do right now is keep my heart open and vulnerable, as much as I want to close it off and protect it right now. I have to accept the truth that whatever disappointments my heart encounters it will be strong enough to weather them. I have to believe that these momentary afflictions are passing--and that in the wake of their scars, healing will come. That these current frustrations will bear the children of patience, understanding, self-respect, and love. I am afraid, it's true. I am afraid of years wasted, I'm afraid of not letting go soon enough and of letting go too soon. But I have to confront this fear like any other, I have to acknowledge it without empowering it. I have to reconcile this demon to myself, I know.

For now, I want to allow myself the proper time to grieve--to feel the sadness that is mine to feel at this moment, but I also want to live. I want to be a lover of life again--and I will. Because I refuse to let the temporary afflictions ground me. I know that I am above this.

And yet one thing--I pray that I will be ok with being weak for once. I have feigned strength my whole life--and believed in it almost all of that time. But I believe that now the time has arrived for me to stop. I must acknowledge this part of me and stop chastising it. My fear is not necessarily a bad thing. Nether is my strength. I need both to be a balanced person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home